Community (Home-Care) Medicaid in New York
Serving Clients in the Five Boroughs and New Jersey
Advance directives and establishing a health care proxy are ways to ensure that your wishes regarding your finances and health care are respected — even when you may no longer be able to speak for yourself. These allow you to appoint trusted agents to handle your affairs and specify your wishes for various financial, legal and health care measures. Using advance directives will provide you — and your family — with tremendous peace of mind.
Essential Advance Directives Include:
- A Living Will specifies the kinds of health care measures you want taken if you become seriously ill with considerable doubts of recovery. This includes resuscitation orders and instructions regarding artificial nutrition and dehydration.
- A Durable Power of Attorney (POA) allows you to designate a trusted person to manage financial affairs in the event that you are incapacitated.
- A Health Care Proxy designates an agent to make any and all health decisions if you are unable to act on your own behalf. These include everything from routine care choices through end of life decisions.
- A HIPAA Release allows you to designate someone to access your medical records and other information your doctors may have. This information must be held completely confidential by federal law. A HIPAA release is essential to help your agent have the essential information they need to make good care choices.
- Disposition of Remains and NYS Burial Designation allows you to appoint an agent to carry out your remains and make burial and funeral choices.
- Nomination of Guardian is granted by the courts and requires a formal protective process, including a detailed petition and court hearing.
- MOLST (Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment) allows you to specify your preferences regarding CPR, intubation and ventilation, artificial hydration and nutrition, future hospitalization and antibiotics. The (often bright pink) form must be completed and signed by a New York State licensed physician.
- Selecting the Agent
Your Grimaldi & Yeung LLP attorney will create the legal documents needed to insure that your wishes are respected. Just call 718-238-6960 or Email to get started.
Copyright © Grimaldi & Yeung LLP. All rights reserved.